Internships with the Protection Unit of the UNHCR Representation
- Provide interns with an opportunity to gain practical work experience related to their academic programme or future work in a field related to the UNHCR’s mission;
- Allow interns to contribute to the work of the international organization and to gain experience of working in an international environment.
- Undergraduate or graduate students studying in the area of law, human rights, political science, international relations, public policy and administration.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Russian, fluency in Azerbaijani, knowledge of other languages will be an asset.
- Ability to work fairly, independently and demonstrate initiative and flexibility to effectively benefit from the internship.
Description of tasks:
The Protection intern, working under the supervision of the Associate Protection Officer, will undertake the following functions:
- Assist in research, preparation and dissemination of country of origin information (COI) and managing COI library
- Interpret during the counseling sessions with refugees and Refugee Status Determination (RSD) interviews
- Translate documents and correspondence from English into Azerbaijani/Russian and vice versa.
- Assist in filing documents submitted by refugees and asylum seekers
- Aid in arranging interview appointments/schedule (RSD officer-interpreter-asylum seeker)
- Liaise with individual refugees or refugee communities as required
- Attend meetings and prepare minutes/notes for the file regarding the meetings
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
The minimum duration of the internship will be three months and the maximum six months. Interns maintain the same working hours as regular staff (9:00 to 17:00).
Interns are considered gratis personnel and the period of internship will not be remunerated.
How to Apply
Motivation letter and Curriculum Vitae in English should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only if UNHCR wishes to actively pursue your CV, you will be contacted and the date of the interview will be appointed. Once selected, the Internship Agreement will be signed.