New project of AYLU
Ombudsman law education
We inform you that from November 2001 AYLU began to realize 6 months project
by the financial support of the American Bar Association Central and East European
Law Initiative (USAID funded).
In July 2001, the parliament of the Azerbaijan Republic (Milli Mejlis) adopted
a draft law "On Human Rights Commissioner" in Azerbaijan (ombudsman)
in third reading. The adoption of this law was one of the obligations put on
Azerbaijan by Council of Europe.
The procedure of enacting constitutional laws differs from that of other laws.
These laws must be considered twice. According to article 156 of Constitution
of the Azerbaijan Republic (Order of Adopting Additions to the Constitution
of the Azerbaijan Republic), additions to the Constitution of the Azerbaijan
Republic shall be adopted as Constitutional Laws in the Milli Mejlis of the
Azerbaijan Republic by a majority of 95 votes. Constitutional Laws of the Azerbaijan
Republic on Additions to the Constitution of the Azerbaijan Republic shall be
put to the vote at the Milli Mejlis of the Azerbaijan Republic twice. The second
voting shall be held in 6 months after the first was held.
Constitutional Laws of the Azerbaijan Republic on Additions to the Constitution
of the Azerbaijan Republic shall be submitted to the President of the Azerbaijan
Republic after the first as well as the second voting. The Constitutional Laws
of the Azerbaijan Republic on Additions to the Constitution of the Azerbaijan
Republic shall come into force upon the President's signing them after the second
At the Executive Board meeting of AYLU Board members were decided to conduct
a campaign concerning ombudsman law education among the population. According
to draft law, ombudsman defends human rights and freedoms, secures the respect
of those values by governmental and municipal bodies and assists in restoration
of the violated rights. During 10 days, the state officials must provide the
human rights commissioner with necessary documents and materials. If necessary,
in written form ombudsman may require to substantiate the disputable issue from
state official. While investigating the complaint, the ombudsman has right to
give a commission to the state bodies. The government officials, the commanders
of military units, the heads of investigating isolators and places of confinements
are obliged to give an audience to ombudsman.
Taking into consideration the above mentioned, the working group of NGOs on
legal issues found the problem an up-to-date one and the NGOs directly have
to participate in enlightenment of population and adoption of constitutional
law on ombudsman and its execution.
THE PURPOSES AND TASKS OF THE PROJECT:
- Preparation of population on adoption of ombudsman law and its execution.
- Legal enlightenment of population on ombudsman institute
- To prepare the population in acceptance of the constitutional law on ombudsman
and its execution.
- Legal informing of the population on the activity of the institute of ombudsman;
- To increase the level of legal knowledge of NGO representatives in the
field of ombudsman activity
- Formation of public opinion of the population on the given problem through
- Preparation of the trainers on ombudsman.
- Attraction of a public and state bodies; attention to the given problem.
During the project realization will be organize the following events:
- Conducting of TOT training (training for preparation of the trainers)
- Analysis of the acts regulating human rights sphere.
- Realization of seminars for the population, in particular for the young
leaders in Baku, Khachmaz and Lenkoran.
- PR Campaign
- Explanation works and advises among the population (public awareness)
- Edition of the book " Ombudsman and protection of human rights "
(in Azeri language)
- Electronic digest and website " What is the Ombudsman? "
- Edition of the pamphlets " what is the Ombudsman? " (In Azeri
- Conduct of roundtable on the topic "Ombudsman activity in Azerbaijan
Elmary Mamishev; project coordinator
370010 Baku, D. Alieva str., 251
Tel/fax: (99412) 988804
email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com